About this role
Kudos is a small, friendly, start-up team innovating in the digital publishing space, focused on growing the impact and reach of published research.
We’re looking for a Senior Software Engineer to be involved in all aspects of our technical systems, from building new features to scaling the infrastructure of our growing product. We want flexible software engineers that enjoy working collaboratively and are comfortable learning new things. We currently use Angular, Ruby and Amazon Aurora, running on AWS, so if you have expertise in these areas that would be great, but experience in equivalent technology stacks is still relevant. You will have the opportunity to make a direct and immediate impact on Kudos products and see the results quickly.
Here are the kinds of things that you might typically do:
- Work with the product team to understand business requirements for new features.
- Build a new feature, with tests, working across the full stack of our product.
- Support our sales and marketing teams by answering queries with data analysis.
- Review pull requests from the rest of the team, discussing the approach, design and detail.
- Investigate the performance of our current infrastructure and research ways to scale more efficiently.
- Pair with another member of the team to help them resolve a production issue or resolve a problem they have been stuck on.
The following attributes are critical to the role:
- You are an expert in the tools and processes of modern software development: from the languages you use, to source control with Git, to your favourite IDE or editor, to using agile development processes.
- You write understandable, fully tested code, always thinking about maintainability.
- You have built and shipped several commercial software products and have learnt something new from each of those experiences.
- You can lead technical discussions, from low level to architecture, and can help drive technical decisions.
- You can communicate well with both engineers and other members of the business.
The following experiences would be really useful:
- Scaling a web based product on AWS or equivalent cloud providers.
- Working in a devops environment.
- Creating a modern web UI.
- Mentoring other developers.
- Analysis of data big enough to be non-trivial.
Kudos (www.growkudos.com) helps researchers, and their publishers and institutions broaden the reach and impact of their published articles. This award-winning service has a global client base, including major publishers such as Wiley, Taylor & Francis, the American Association for the Advancement of Science and The Royal Society. Kudos has over 120,000 users and works with over 70 publishers, societies and institutions from around the world.
Salary and benefits
This is a full-time role with a salary of up to £60,000 pa depending on experience, and 25 days’ annual leave.
To apply, please send your CV together with a covering letter to: James Bloomer, Head of Technology, Kudos: email@example.com